Colorado State University Listening Lab

Undergraduate Honors Theses

• The effects of human visitation on the behavior and relative abundance of Brandt's cormorants (Phalacrocorax penicillatus) on Alcatraz Island -- Reina Galvan
  • Acoustic analysis of the Fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) -- Sean Williams
  • Changes in bioacoustic activity related to wind turbine operation -- Sam Bietsch
  • A comparative analysis of soundscapes: Peru vs. the United States -- Sara Brandenburg
  • Quantifying fine scale foraging behavior using acoustic monitoring of mule deer -- Alex Avrin
  • Black-tailed prairie dog (Cynomys ludovicianus) altered alarm call function in presence of pups -- Grete Wilson-Henjum
  • Evaluation of wildlife acoustic detection methods using camera traps -- Tyler Asnicar
  • Identification and Evaluation of ‘Soundmarks’ in National Parks -- Benjamin Buescher
  • Automating Species Recognition in Acoustic Recordings Using the Template Detector Method -- Louisa Markow

Listening Lab Director

Current Listening Lab Members

Ally Resize

Ally Davis

I am a senior at CSU studying Biology and conservation. I grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis, Minnesota which gave me the unusual opportunity to experience the cultural diversity of the city, while still being a short drive away from my favorite nature spots. A big part of being a part of my family has always been enjoying nature together; whether by going on long hikes, while snacking on wild berries, or camping in the great wilderness areas of northern Minnesota. On these outings, my dad always reminded me to stop and listen to the sounds of nature which taught me the subtle yet significant importance of sound. After my years of studies, I have learned that nature’s sounds can not only profoundly influence humans, but that many other species rely on sound too. I love being part of a team whose goal is to understand and conserve the acoustic environment of our favorite nature areas and hope to continue to learn how we impact nature’s sound every day.

Ava

Ava Aguilar

I am a second year from Golden, Colorado majoring in Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Biology with a concentration in Conservation Biology. I have always enjoyed being outdoors and as I got older I started noticing how people affect the environment. I am inspired by people like Jane Goodall and organizations like Greenpeace to put my efforts and time into saving the Earth and the animals that live here with us. I am excited to be working in the Listening Lab, learning new ways to educate people on conservation efforts, and to learn how many different conservation careers there are in my field.

Katerina

Katerina Lee

I am a second year biology major from Summit County Colorado. Growing up in the mountains allowed me to develop a keen interest in the natural world, which only increased as I traveled to and camped in national parks across the western United States. I hope to focus on ecology in my future career and am specifically interested in the wide-scale ecological impacts of not only humans, but also species-species interactions. Working with the listening lab is a fantastic opportunity for me view these interactions in a real-world scenario. In my free time you will often find me reading a fantasy book or hiking.

Katie2

Katie Badwey

I am a third-year student from Kansas City, MO studying zoology at CSU. I haven't had too many opportunities to experience nature first-hand, but I've always loved what it has to offer. Specifically, I am fascinated by birds, though I'm always open to finding new interests and learning more! I think it is important for humans and natural environments to be able to coexist, and I hope to learn more about how to make this happen while also conserving soundscapes and wildlife.

Maddie

Madison Chudzik

I am a second-year student from Chicago, IL studying Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology with a concentration in wildlife. Growing up in the suburbs didn’t provide much opportunity for outdoor exploration but thanks to my father's passion for the outdoors I found out from a young age that natural sciences were my passion. The human influence on ecological systems is a growing interest of mine ever since which is what lead me to the listening lab. I hope to eventually end up conducting my own research looking at the effects human recreation has on ecosystems in federally protected land.

Rocio

Rocio Rincon

I am an international student from Spain majoring in Zoology at CSU. I grew up in the outskirts of Madrid, surrounded by nature and wildlife. My interest in this field began as I developed my curiosity for all the fauna I encountered close to home. When I moved to the United States several years ago, my family and I lived in Chicago, and I had the opportunity to understand how conservation efforts differed from rural areas to big cities. We visited many of the national parks, and I knew since then that I wanted to help preserve these beautiful natural areas. My studies are a very important part of my life, but I also like to train in powerlifting, taekwondo, and hike in the Rockies.

Previous Listening Lab Members

Abbie

Abbie Hart

2016-2017

Anna

Anna Johnson

2019-2020

Colton

Colton Raab

2013-2015

Emilym

Emily Morton

2018-2019

Griselda

Griselda Landa-Posas

2016-2019

James

James Kelleher

2018-2019

Matt

Matt Edrich

2017-2018

Reina

Reina Galvan

2014-2015

Savanna

Savanna Smith

2016-2017

Terutaka

Terutaka Funabashi

2017-2020

Abby

Abby Crowder

2015-2017

Ben

Ben Buescher

2019-2019

Corinne

Corinne Ryan

2016-2017

Emily

Emily Sikora

2017-2020

Haley

Haley Stapleton

2016-2018

Jared

Jared Lamb

2016-2018

Meredith

Meredith Lewis

2014-2015

Sam

Sam Bietsch

2013-2016

Sean

Sean Williams

2013-2016

Trent

Trent Hawkins

2016-2017

Alex

Alex Avrin

2013-2015

Carlos

Carlos Linares

2017-2019

Elena

Elena Gratton

2016-2020

Gabby

Gaby Staats

2015-2016

Hannah

Hannah Vincelette

2017-2019

Jennifer

Jennifer Anthony

2018

Rachael

Rachael Tindal

2016-2017

Samh

Sam Hric

2019-2020

Tabitha

Tabitha Gulley

2015-2017

Alyssa

Alyssa Breda

2017-2018

Chelsea

Chelsea Chambers

2018-2019

Ellie

Ellie Weeks

2019-2020

Grete

Grete Wilson-Henjum

2015-2016

Henry

Henry Joyner

2016-2017

Louisa

Louisa Markow

2018-2020

Morgan

Morgan Crump

2018-2020

Sara

Sara Brandenburg

2014-2016

SONY DSC

Taylor Greene

2014-2015

Please enter your name.
Please enter a subject.
Please enter a message.
Please check the captcha to verify you are not a robot.