Colorado State University Listening Lab

Undergraduate Honors Theses

• The effects of human visitation on the behavior and relative abundance of Brandt's cormorants (Phalacrocorax penicillatus) on Alcatraz Island -- Reina Galvan
  • Acoustic analysis of the Fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) -- Sean Williams
  • Changes in bioacoustic activity related to wind turbine operation -- Sam Bietsch
  • A comparative analysis of soundscapes: Peru vs. the United States -- Sara Brandenburg
  • Quantifying fine scale foraging behavior using acoustic monitoring of mule deer -- Alex Avrin
  • Black-tailed prairie dog (Cynomys ludovicianus) altered alarm call function in presence of pups -- Grete Wilson-Henjum
  • Evaluation of wildlife acoustic detection methods using camera traps -- Tyler Asnicar
  • Identification and Evaluation of ‘Soundmarks’ in National Parks -- Benjamin Buescher
  • Automating Species Recognition in Acoustic Recordings Using the Template Detector Method -- Louisa Markow

Listening Lab Director

Current Listening Lab Members

Ava

Ava Aguilar

I am a second year from Golden, Colorado majoring in Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Biology with a concentration in Conservation Biology. I have always enjoyed being outdoors and as I got older I started noticing how people affect the environment. I am inspired by people like Jane Goodall and organizations like Greenpeace to put my efforts and time into saving the Earth and the animals that live here with us. I am excited to be working in the Listening Lab, learning new ways to educate people on conservation efforts, and to learn how many different conservation careers there are in my field.

Katerina

Katerina Lee

I am a third year biology major from Summit County Colorado. Growing up in the mountains allowed me to develop a keen interest in the natural world, which only increased as I traveled to and camped in national parks across the western United States. I hope to focus on ecology in my future career and am specifically interested in the wide-scale ecological impacts of not only humans, but also species-species interactions. Working with the listening lab is a fantastic opportunity for me view these interactions in a real-world scenario. In my free time you will often find me reading a fantasy book or hiking.

Makenna

Makenna Kueny

I am a senior mathematics major with a minor in statistics. I grew up in Windsor, Colorado. Over the years I have gained an interest in environmental work, but I was not sure where to start. I ended up studying mathematics and planned to use my skills to help in emerging technical fields in environmental sciences. Understanding and quantifying the human impact on the environment is what got me interested in the listening lab. I am very excited for this opportunity to learn more about the environment, and how mathematics can fit into conservation efforts.

April

April Dossett

I am a second year student from Olathe, Kansas majoring in Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation Biolgy with a concentration in Wildlife Biology, as well as minoring in Statistics and Zoology. The part of Kansas I grew up in was not very exciting in terms of flora and fauna; however, I have always known that I would grow up to work with animals. I first thought I would be a vet, but have since developed a passion for wildlife and protecting natural habitats. My career goals are to work as a wildlife rehabilitationist or doing species case studies and assisting with habitat management and conservation. I am excited to start my journey of working with wildlife in the Listening Lab and acquiring valuable skills and knowledge that will benefit me later in life.

Alexhey

Alex Hey

I’m a third-year double major in Zoology and Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology from West Chicago, Illinois. I have always had a great appreciation for the natural world and feel a calling to not only conserve it but generate an increased public perception of wildlife.  I’m interested in everything from species-specific research, human-wildlife interactions, and science communications. I hope to gain research experience and expand my analytical capabilities with my position in the Listening Lab, and plan on using these skills in a conservation-based position after my degree, with eventual hopes in more post-secondary education.

Maddie

Madison Chudzik

I am a senior from Chicago, IL studying Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology with a concentration in wildlife. Growing up in the suburbs didn’t provide much opportunity for outdoor exploration but thanks to my father's passion for the outdoors I found out from a young age that natural sciences were my passion. The human influence on ecological systems is a growing interest of mine ever since which is what lead me to the listening lab. I hope to eventually end up conducting my own research looking at the effects human recreation has on ecosystems in federally protected land.

Lauren

Lauren Hatch

I'm a junior from Boulder County, CO studying Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology with a minor in GIS. I've always been connected to the outdoors and spent much of my childhood hiking, camping, and skiing. This background allowed me to develop an interest in the natural sciences from a young age, and that passion has led me to pursue a career in wildlife science. I am particularly interested in wildlife ecology and looking at the impacts humans have on wildlife, both on wide and fine scales. I am excited to work in the Listening Lab to expand my skill set in this field and to help quantify anthropogenic disturbance in National Parks.

Ethan

Ethan Hobbs

I'm a second year Wildlife Biology Major from Burlington, Vermont. When I graduate from college, I can't picture myself doing anything other than working in the outdoors to protect the world's biodiversity. I've always been fascinated by nature and consider wildlife to be the best thing our world has to offer, and I enjoy experiencing it though cycling, cross country skiing, and most of all, photography. I'm excited to be a part of the Listening Lab and contribute to the protection of wildlife in our national parks, as well as gain valuable skills for the future. I hope to work in conservation and help people and wildlife live harmoniously alongside each other.

Previous Listening Lab Members

Abbie

Abbie Hart

2016-2017

Alyssa

Alyssa Breda

2017-2018

Anna

Anna Johnson

2019-2020

Colton

Colton Raab

2013-2015

Emilym

Emily Morton

2018-2019

Griselda

Griselda Landa-Posas

2016-2019

James

James Kelleher

2018-2019

Matt

Matt Edrich

2017-2018

Reina

Reina Galvan

2014-2015

Savanna

Savanna Smith

2016-2017

Katie2

Katie Badwey

2020-2021

Abby

Abby Crowder

2015-2017

Ben

Ben Buescher

2019-2019

Corinne

Corinne Ryan

2016-2017

Emily

Emily Sikora

2017-2020

Haley

Haley Stapleton

2016-2018

Jared

Jared Lamb

2016-2018

Meredith

Meredith Lewis

2014-2015

Sam

Sam Bietsch

2013-2016

Sean

Sean Williams

2013-2016

Terutaka

Terutaka Funabashi

2017-2020

Alex

Alex Avrin

2013-2015

Carlos

Carlos Linares

2017-2019

Elena

Elena Gratton

2016-2020

Gabby

Gaby Staats

2015-2016

Hannah

Hannah Vincelette

2017-2019

Jennifer

Jennifer Anthony

2018

Rachael

Rachael Tindal

2016-2017

Samh

Sam Hric

2019-2020

Tabitha

Tabitha Gulley

2015-2017

Trent

Trent Hawkins

2016-2017

Ally Resize

Ally Davis

2020-2021

Chelsea

Chelsea Chambers

2018-2019

Ellie

Ellie Weeks

2019-2020

Grete

Grete Wilson-Henjum

2015-2016

Henry

Henry Joyner

2016-2017

Louisa

Louisa Markow

2018-2020

Morgan

Morgan Crump

2018-2020

Sara

Sara Brandenburg

2014-2016

SONY DSC

Taylor Greene

2014-2015

Rocio

Rocio Rincon

2019-2020

Please enter your name.
Please enter a subject.
Please enter a message.
Please check the captcha to verify you are not a robot.