My Life at CSU as a Visiting Scholar

By Tang Yanan | February 22, 2023

On September 23, 2023, after a rough night at San Francisco Airport, I started my studies life at CSU with two suitcases which are all my belongings.

I still remember the bright morning when I met Dr. David in Oval on the first day I entered the campus. Although it’s the first time we met each other, his approachable character immediately alleviated my discomfort to the strange environment. I will cherish the photo Dr. David took for me in Oval, which is my first photo with this university. Dr. Gong, whom I met later, patiently explained my admission to the school like a family member, Dr. Xiong was willing to offer me her bike, and Dr. Tian treated me a Mexican dinner, all of these gave me a sense of intimacy from my hometown. Strange but intimate, is my first impression of this place.

At CSU, I have seen an open and inclusive scientific research environment and academic atmosphere. There is an equal and liberal exchange of ideas between students and teachers. No matter whether your ideas are perfect or not, professors will encourage you to express your ideas actively and give you affirmation, which is very effective in cultivating students’ ability of active thinking. In fact, many Chinese students are not good at expressing themselves, especially in public spaces, because in many cases they are worried about making mistakes. In the long run, they will gradually lose their eyes to find problems, but we need to realize that no problem is the biggest problem. However, at CSU, the only thing you need to do is to be brave enough to speak your thought, because no one will laugh at you.

At CSU, I made some kind and sincere friends. Although there were not many of them, they are enough to warm and brighten my life in a foreign land. We had a wonderful and unforgettable time hiking, shopping, exploring the delicious food, experiencing the local culture and so on.

For the rest of the time, I wish I could continue to look forward to the future with hope.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–