Alicia Sendrowski – Postdoc

Previous Education:

University of Florida (B.S., Environmental Engineering, 2012)

University of Texas at Austin (M.S., Environmental and Water Resources Engineering, 2015; PhD, Civil Engineering, 2018)

About Alicia:

Growing up in Massachusetts and Florida, I developed an interest in water resources in the natural and human environment. As an undergraduate studying environmental engineering, I assisted in research in forest ecology while completing my thesis project on the removal of phosphorus from source separated urine to recover and reuse as fertilizer. Before starting my PhD, I worked in Alaska as a field assistant looking at climate change effects on the succession of boreal forests. Wanting to combine my interests in hydrology and mathematics, my doctoral research focused on using innovative statistical approaches to quantify the influence of hydrological drivers such as river discharge, tides, and wind on fluxes in river deltas. Deltas are dynamic systems that have social, economic, and ecological importance, and my work measured the connectivity among processes that lead to temporal and spatial heterogeneities in water, sediment, and nutrient transport in these systems. My research provided insight into modeling and monitoring of deltaic systems.

Postdoc: Large wood transport in the Mackenzie River Delta

Carbon is an important constituent in the global climate cycle yet we do not have a complete understanding of carbon dynamics in the terrestrial, riverine, or oceanic environment. Deltas, landscapes that occur at the interface between land and sea, can serve as the final centers for carbon processing and storage before export into the open ocean. One major transport pathway of carbon is in the form of large wood. Human practices have altered the amount, source, and timing of large wood transport in many rivers, which greatly influenced river morphology and likely carbon cycling. With only a few rivers maintaining natural wood dynamics, an open question is the fate of large wood once it enters rivers. My project will focus on quantifying the distribution of large wood that enters the Mackenzie River Delta, a large delta in Northwest Canada that has seen little human interference.  I will use remote sensing and field work to analyze wood dynamics and river processes influencing wood transport. I also aim to estimates of carbon transport in the delta and identify important sites of carbon processing.