Opportunities in the Lab

Lab Philosophy

In the Bombaci Lab, we believe that excellence in research and teaching comes from creating teams that are diverse in backgrounds, interests, and talents. We aim to create and maintain a culture of support and respect for diverse perspectives. We value collaboration, communication, creativity, critical thinking, work-life balance, and we support each other's success.

Students that will succeed in the Bombaci Lab will have a passion for conservation or ecology, an interest in learning about or advancing diversity and inclusion and/or working with marginalized communities, will be good communicators, and will be motivated to learn new skills (e.g. field techniques, analytical methods, science communication).

Mentoring Philosophy

Helping graduate students achieve their professional goals is a core part of why I love my job. For each student, success might look different, so I use a mentoring strategy that starts with active communication with each mentee about their professional goals and expectations of what they hope to achieve while in my lab. I use these conversations to guide each student in crafting their own development plan to prioritize training and networking strategies that can help them meet their aims.

Prospective Graduate Students

I will post any funded graduate student positions to this page so check this site regularly if you are interested in joining my lab.

I will only accept graduate students that I have funding for, or that can bring their own grant or fellowship funding, so I also encourage interested gradate students to pursue graduate fellowships they are eligible for (see Fellowship Resources section at the bottom of this page). If you have an interesting research idea that aligns with my research areas, and would like to pursue a graduate fellowship to join my lab, please provide details about your fellowship application plans in a letter of interest to me that also describes why you are interested in joining the lab, how your proposed fellowship research will align with the work in my lab, previous research/field experience, general research interests, and career plans/goals.

See also here for great tips on how to correspond with potential advisors.

Undergraduate Students

I welcome motivated undergraduates who are eager to gain experience in research areas in the lab. Please check here regularly for job/internship announcements.

Fellowship and Funding Resources 

For prospective graduate students

For postdocs