Parameter Estimation and Inverse Problems Homepage
Department of Geosciences, Colorado State University
Mathematics Department, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Department of Geoscience, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Third Edition, 2018
The corresponding Elsevier site for the book can be found at https://www.elsevier.com/books/parameter-estimation-and-inverse-problems/aster/978-0-12-804651-7 . Should you have relevant comments or suggestions, please feel free contact the authors.
An accompanying Parameter Estimation and Inverse Problems Instructor’s Guide for the Second Edition is available to instructors from the Elsevier book site. The Guide contains overviews of all of the chapters and suggestions for instructors, as well as solutions to all problems in the book with MATLAB code where indicated. We are currently working on a version of the guide corresponding to the Third Edition, but the Second Edition Guide should still be very useful to users of the Third Edition.
The MATLAB code for the Third Edition is posted at https://github.com/brianborchers/PEIP
Third Edition typos and errata: https://sites.warnercnr.colostate.edu/aster/errata-for-parameter-estimation-and-inverse-problems-third-edition/
Recent Representative Courses, Instructors, and Institutions Using Parameter Estimation and Inverse Problems:
- Geophysical Inverse Theory and Practice, Colorado State University
- Inverse Theory, New Mexico Tech
- Inverse Theory, New Mexico State University
- Inverse Theory, University of Wyoming
- Geophysical Inverse Theory, Stanford University
- Inverse Problems and Global Optimization, New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Geophysical Inverse Theory, Saint Louis University
- Inverse Problems and Imaging, University of Manchester
- Inverse Problems, Institute of Applied Mathematics, Middle East Technical University, Ankara
- Geophysical Data Analysis: Inverse Theory, Rice University
- Inverse Theory, University of Texas, El Paso
- Parameter Estimation and Inverse Methods in Environmental Sciences, University of Connecticut.
- Geophysical Forward & Inverse Modelling, Western University, Canada.
Second Edition, 2012
The Second Editon of our textbook, Parameter Estimation and Inverse Problems, by Elsevier Academic Press (ISBN:978-0-12-385048-5; Elsevier book site).
This edition is still in wide use, but has been superseded by the 2018 Third Edition (see below).
The authors express sincere thanks to the instructors, reviewers, and students who were so helpful in facilitating the completion of all editions of this book.
- Second Edition typos and errata:
- The latest version of the MATLAB software materials for the Second Edition, incorporating post-first-printing changes, can be found here (cd_5.3.zip).
- The Elsevier companion site: http://www.elsevierdirect.com/companion.jsp?ISBN=9780123850485
- The Elsevier instructor website (login required): http://textbooks.elsevier.com/web/manuals.aspx?isbn=9780123850485
This class and textbook makes extensive use of Matlab by Mathworks.
Last updated: November 3, 2020.