Staff

The PLPG is lucky to have several wonderful program leaders, research associates, and postdoctoral scholars conducting research, mentoring students, and contributing to our research group, department, and college.

Chad Kooistra

PhD – Forest Ecosystems and Society
PLPG Wildfire Management Research Program Lead

Chad’s Google Scholar Profile
Chad’s CV

Growing up in Michigan enjoying the public forests and lakeshores nearby inspired me to earn a B.S. degree at CSU in Natural Resource Recreation and Tourism. I applied my degree for the next few years working for NGOs and state and federal land management agencies on many different habitat restoration, fire mitigation, social science, and trail projects on public lands across Colorado and Nevada.

I earned my M.S. degree at the University of Idaho studying people’s attitudes about forest management after pine beetle outbreaks in Grand County, CO. My Ph.D. research at Oregon State University investigated people’s perceptions of post-wildfire landscape recovery and the implications for forest and wildfire management. My post-doc work at Oregon State University, University of Oregon, and Great Basin Institute focused on human dimensions of various natural resource issues, including wildfire management, collaborative land management, recreation management on public lands, and residents’ attitudes about tourism.

I am excited to be back at CSU and working with Dr. Courtney Schultz’ Public Lands Policy Group as the Wildfire Management Research Program Lead! We are using social science to research wildfire risk management tools, collaboration and shared stewardship, and other issues and policies being implemented by land managers and communities across the U.S.

I joined the PLPG in fall 2019 as a postdoctoral researcher working on an NSF Macrosystems Biology project, where we are investigating the relative influence of management on U.S. forests at regional to continental scales. I am interviewing forest experts throughout the U.S. to understand past, current, and potential future drivers of forest management, and working with modelers to incorporate this information into our understanding of the ecosystem structure, composition, and function of future U.S. forests.

I completed my PhD in early 2019 in the School of Geography and Development at the University of Arizona, where my dissertation was entitled, “Incentives, Livelihoods, and Forest Ecology: Payments for Ecosystem Services in Guatemala’s Western Highlands.” Using a mixed methods approach of interviews, participant observation, and forest carbon plots, I investigated how national forestry incentives in Guatemala shift governance, management practices, access to resources and forest carbon storage potential. My overarching research interests combine the fields of political ecology, environmental governance, ecosystem service science, critical physical geography, and natural resource management.  Before graduate school, I completed a B.S. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Rice University in Houston and worked as a biological technician for several public land agencies in New Mexico and California.

Niki vonHedemann

PhD Geography and Development
NSF Post-Doctoral Scholar

Niki’s Website
(includes CV, publications, and teaching approach)

Michelle Greiner

MS – Environmental Sciences and Policy
PLPG Research Associate

Michelle’s Google Scholar Profile

Michelle completed her Masters in Environmental Sciences and Policy at Northern Arizona University. Her graduate research explored how the Forest Service is navigating resilience directives in the 2012 Planning Rule. Her work focused on management implications of this policy in Southwestern forests. After graduation she was a social scientist for the Landscape Conservation Initiative in Flagstaff before starting an internship traveling with the USFWS. Michelle’s research is motivated by the intersection of science and policy.

Her current projects focus on federal fire management with an emphasis on improving decision-making around fuels and fire management, and cross-boundary and partnership efforts associated with US forestlands. Michelle is happy to return to CSU as an alumna who earned a B.S. in Natural Resources Management and minors in English and Global Environmental Sustainability. She is originally from Colorado and enjoys camping, cooking, yoga, and hiking in the Rocky Mountains.

Former Staff Members

I attended high school in Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany. While living in Germany, I was inspired by the progressive environmental regulation in the county. I knew I wanted to peruse an education that would support this spirit of conservation and policy. I moved to Colorado in 2016 to start my undergraduate degree in Human Dimensions of Natural Resources. As a student, I interned at Grand Teton National Park as a Social Scientist and conducted a human-wildlife interaction study at the park’s “Bear Jams” (traffic jams caused by visitors watching grizzly bears). This experience opened my eyes to the value and opportunity in public land management  In 2018, I started working with Courtney on my undergraduate honors thesis and had the opportunity to engage in both American and European policy. My thesis, entitled “Carbon Indicators: A Comparative Analysis of the Californian and European Union Carbon Scheme” reviewed the development and implementation of Carbon Markets.

After finishing my thesis, I stayed with PLPG assisting in a variety of research projects until I graduated in December 2019. I had the opportunity to build on my thesis and further study carbon offsets and sequestration management. I joined the lab full-time in January 2020 and now research Forest Service policy and strategies, including Shared Stewardship and the Collaborative Forest Landscape Restoration Program. I am primarily interested in cross-boundary landscape management and engaging local communities.

Emily Sinkular

BS – Human Dimensions of Natural Resources
PLPG Research Associate